Sunday, April 10, 2011

Of success and busy arms


             I am sorry to keep all of my avid readers in suspense. The ramp up to mid-program review was intense, a lot of running back and forth and getting my nerves up. The review itself wasn’t too fun an experience, it was basically me in a room with three to four of my teachers looking at my work and not holding back on critique. The critique was heart pounding, as they told me what I really needed to work on and what they thought I should do from here on out. Even though I thought that I didn’t do to well in the review I passed. Though it didn’t feel like the victory I thought it would. I have a long way to go it seems before I am ready to impress anyone. But I digress, back to the art portion of this blog.
            The week went by in a haze of confusion and nerve-racking preparation, as I explained above. The gist of what we did in class was trying to fit everything we have learned so far into some gesture drawings; this is a rather difficult feat. I am to slow generally to even fit in the ribcage, pelvis, spine, all together, let alone the arms, legs, hands, and feet. So my arm was moving crazily as I tried to fit everything in as the timer counted down from thirty seconds. Although, I do feel that I have gotten a better grasp on how gesture drawings work since the beginning of the semester. Not only that, but I am starting to become faster as seeing the position the model is in and how that would translate to a two dimensional piece of paper. Not to say I am a master, as anyone could tell by my drawings, but to say that I have improved. It has been a bumpy ride, and I think it would have helped if we were able to slow down the weird, twisting gestures a little bit, but over all the class is helping.

2 comments:

  1. I am still having trouble fitting everything in my gestures too! Thirty seconds is not a lot of time to draw in the rib cage, pelvis, legs, arms, hands, feet, and spine. Although I am still slow I think that I am still improving. I also think that the gestures are really to get a better sense of the body's movement rather than the correct proportions. However, proportions are still important to be able to distinguish what is what and make the gesture look believable and not completely awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that feeling of not having enough time when we do the thirty second drawings. I feel like this is one of your better long drawings yet! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete