Sunday, May 1, 2011

Facing The End


This week was the second week in a row with only four school days it in. Furthermore there is only one full week of class left in the semester. This is an exciting fact and also a rather nerve racking fact, because it means it is crunch time to try and get everything done before the school year ends.
            After our last week of drawing the skull, we started fresh on Wednesday, since we had Monday off this week, on drawing facial features. The features we focused on during Wednesday’s class were the eyes and nose. Both of these things are much more complicated to draw that I had ever anticipated. I mean I knew that drawing facial features wasn’t a walk in the park, but after Amy’s lecture about the eye I saw how true that really was. She showed us how to add depth to the eyes and told us about how they weren’t just simple circles. Overall it was rather fascinating, but slightly intimidating. After the lecture we broke up into groups of two or three to draw each other’s eyes and noses. Few things in the world make one more nervous when drawing as when they are drawing their friends and know that they will want to look at it afterwards.
            Thursday came and went and then it was already Friday. In class on Friday we learned about the ears and mouth. Again we sat down and listened eagerly to Amy’s lecture about each part respectfully, and yet again I was suppressed at the complexity of each part respectfully. After the lecture I felt like I had been drawing faces all wrong my entire life, which I probably had, oh well. We had another round of pairing up to draw each other, except this time instead of getting into pairs me and five of my friends decided to draw one of us. I volunteered to go first, and I have to admit I have a new respect for our life drawing models. I had to sit still for only thirty minutes but it felt like an eon when I couldn’t move during it. I got to for a while after that, which ended the week.  I am not sure how many blogs will be after this one, but keep checking in, but try not to be disappointed if there are only one or two, and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that before life drawing one I have been drawing faces wrong too and even after Amy's many lectures I feel like I am still drawing faces wrong. The part that frustrates me the most is putting on the contour lines. I know that contour lines are supposed to make your drawing look for 3D, but I think that my drawings still look flat after I put them on. Sometimes I also think that I put too many contour lines on to the point where they overwhelm my drawing. I am hoping to figure this out before we are done with life drawing one for good! It is crazy to think of how much we have learned from this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved learning about how to draw the eyes, nose, and mouth properly. Drawing the mouth always frustrates me because I feel like if I put too dark of a line on the top lip, it looks like the person I'm drawing is wearing lipliner or something...

    ReplyDelete