Sunday, May 8, 2011

Long time running


            Well grab your box of Kleenex because this is the last normal blog post of the semester… I believe. Anyway this week was all about the long drawings. He only did a few gesture drawings this week, which felt a little weird, but was a great change of pace, at least for me. Personally I like longer drawings more, but that is because I am too slow at the gestures.            
            If my memory serves me right, on Monday we started to work on a longer drawing of the head. This took up the entire class period. It consisted of part of the shoulders and up. We all tried our best to get our proportions correct, which was rather difficult for me. In the end I felt it went rather well, but I can really see how slow I am compared to my classmates when I look at the amount the finished in the same time.
            On to Wednesday we did a few gestures and then continued the portrait drawing from Monday. Even after this additional time I still felt like I could have gone for longer on it… oh well time is restrictive. I cannot say how many times I erased and re-worked a section. I think it helped me see the figure in two-dimensional form though.
            Finally the last Friday of class came, and it was an interesting one. After a few weeks of focusing on different parts of the head we returned to the whole body. We started a full body pose that will take us into Monday. I felt rather annoyed with the angle I choose, I could have changed it but the part I was stuck on I worked on last, so I didn’t notice the difficulty until much later, oh well, it will get worked out. While this was happening Amy was pulling students over to take a final look at the clay manikin, sadly I didn’t get to go on Friday and so I have to wait till this Monday to get final feed back before pictures are taken for the final portfolio. Any way this week is going to be pretty hectic so I need to go prepare for the battle, I will probably have to post a final blog post about the entire class so look forward to that, other wise thanks for sticking through it all.

2 comments:

  1. Its crazy to think that we are completely finished with this class! I feel like I left Mr. Glutes (my manikin) abandoned in our life drawing room. I can't believe I won't be adding anymore muscles on him. However its a great feeling to be finished! I really did like this class although I definitely had my times of frustration I also had some ahhhh haaaa moments which makes me feel proud of myself to know that I at least figured out some parts of the human body. I'm a little sad for the fact that this is probably my last life drawing class just because I learned so much about the human body and with one more semester I think that my drawings would really improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't even see this drawing of yours!! I really like it, and I feel like you've improved a lot since the beginning of the school year! :D

    ReplyDelete