Sunday, February 13, 2011

Trading places / and faces


            Three weeks have gone past since the start of the semester, and things are only just starting to warm up at all, hopefully it will stay. So now we get onto the important part of this blog, the class portion. Things have been slow to start up as I have said, since the last drawing class I had was about a year ago, but I feel I am back into the swing of things. The early mornings though I have not quite gotten use to nor will I, I fear.  We have continued to do more gesture drawings with our superb model, and overall gestures are getting easier. This week we really focused in on the torso, which for our purposes looks like an egg with a flatter top.  Since we focused on it all week my sketchpad now looks like I have an obsession with eggs, though that really isn’t the case. We didn’t only draw eggs in random shapes though; we also drew the midline through it, if we could see it.
            So I felt like I was in an episode of trading spaces this Friday, because class was very different than it normally is. Instead of staying in our classroom drawing or getting a lecture from our teacher, we traded professors for about a half of an hour. This was mainly because the painting class we traded with needed to learn more about the skull and face, which is what the life-drawing teacher is good at teaching naturally.  So rather than sit on drawing horses we got to sit in actual chairs, with backs! Incase you couldn’t guess that is a big deal. While we got to sit in comfort we listened to the painting teacher, Charles Lume, talk to us about different ways to use contour lines and making objects look rounded, it was a good lecture. When Professor Lume was done with his lecture we went back down to the life drawing room where I got to reinforce my trading spaces analogy as we got another surprise. We had been drawing a female model up to this point, but we traded models with the other section of life drawing for a class, which happened to be a male.
            Next week we are going to start work on the pelvis, which will be interesting to say the least.  Also we were assigned to work on more muscles for our model, which I will put up a photo of.  Anyway I have other things I need to do tonight, later.

2 comments:

  1. My sketchpad also looks like I have an obsession with eggs! I would agree that our lecture last Friday was a good one. It wasn’t what I was expecting, but I think Charles Lume got everybody thinking in a different way about drawing by the end of his talk. I liked how he critiqued even famous artists and pointed out what they had trouble with. Its nice to know that everybody has some sort of trouble with drawing when they are starting out even artists that get paid the big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That day with the painting professor was an interesting day. And I always seem to forget that the top of my "egg" should be flat.

    ReplyDelete