Sunday, March 27, 2011

Guess who's Back!


Well we are now back from spring break, and I am sure everyone was eager to get started again. Spring break left us all a little bleary eyed and dazed to be up so early in the morning. Things got off to an unenergetic start, but that was just because of our, or at least my, unusual sleep schedule over spring break. This week our teacher talked to us about the shoulders, it was interesting, but I think this is something I will have trouble with in the future. Since the shoulder blades can change angles and aren’t always the easiest things to see I have had some difficulties in portraying them accurately in my sketches. I still feel a little rusty even thought the week has gone by. It is amazing what one-week of not drawing can do in a negative light. Although on the bright side, I started holding my drawing utensil differently at the beginning of the semester and it now finally feels natural. I do feel that this style of drawing is helpful even if it seemed totally weird at the beginning of the semester.
We also started putting together shoulder and more back muscles on our manikins. These muscles really made the manikin look human, well as human as it gets with a goat head. The back muscles were smooth and added the shape on the back that I am a little more use to, epically at the neck. Although it has been a rough time for Goatman, my maniken, since he has decided that standing up is overrated and leaped from perch. I also fear that his goat face my not be long for this world since I am running out of the red clay that I started this project with. If I do run out I will probably take off his clay head and replace it with a different color, I wouldn’t want to lose its sense of personalization. 

1 comment:

  1. I noticed a big difference in my drawing after just a week off from spring break too! You wouldn't think that is such a short time period that your drawing skills would be that effected. For me when I came back I had a lot of trouble with proportions and for some reason I would draw the upper body too long. Even after drawing that first week after spring break my drawing skills were still not completely back to where they were before spring break, which is crazy to imagine. In theory, just think of how great everyone in our class would be if we had started drawing on a regular basis at a young age!

    ReplyDelete