Friday, March 4, 2011

Half way there, before tea time.


So first thoughts, what are these strange links above this? Well we are here at midterms, and that means it is time for the midterm portfolio review. To actually answer the question I asked above, the links are to my flicker account where you can see the work I have done so far in life drawing. Anyway, back to midterm talk. It is hard for me to believe that we have already been in this semester long enough for this week to be the middle. So I guess it is time to reflect on the first half and look at the second half with bright eyes and a bushy tail.
            All right, let us get the scary question out of the way first. What have I learned so far? So far this semester I have mainly learned that I am slow at drawing, 30 seconds is rarely enough time for me to get everything down. Other from that I have learned a lot about the muscle structure of the human body, and how muscles work in general. The teacher has also given us a lot of instruction into how to drawn forms quickly, which helps me see and draw better.
Drawing 7: from my Flicker
Speaking of drawing better, I feel like I have improved. When I walked into life drawing with a stick of charcoal I felt that my drawings were not much better than stick figures. Now I feel that my eyes have been trained to see what is actually happening in a pose that the figure is in. Now that I can see better it is just a matter of training my hand to follow what my mind is seeing. However, measuring techniques help immensely. For example in Drawing 7 in my flicker account, link above, I felt that I wouldn’t have drawn the figure nearly as accurately if I didn’t have these techniques. Although I feel that I am improving, I still have a long way to go.
            On that note, it is time to look forward to the greener side of the hill. So what would I like from the second half of the semester? This is a good question with no one answer. I would like many things with a variety of simplicity, from simple things to drawing faster and more accurately, to more complex things such as getting the pesky pelvis to behave, as it should in my drawings.
            I am hopeful that the next part of the semester will be as useful, if not more so, than the first half has been. Furthermore, I feel this class has helped me improve in my drawing ability, and will continue to do so in the future. I had my doubts taking this class, I will admit, but now that I am half way I don’t regret it for a moment.

2 comments:

  1. From the looks of the drawing it looks as if you've improved a lot. I like that you can clearly see the basic egg shape in the drawing. I liked that you also defined the lines of the sacrum. I feel as if the direction of the sacrum makes a lot of difference when you're trying to draw a model, because it shows you how their hips are angled, which helps when the model is in an awkward angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very slow with the gesture drawings as well. I think its because you have to know what the body is doing in the pose before you draw your egg and everything else that we have learned this semester, which is a lot in thirty seconds. However, being pushed to do so really forces you to speed yourself up. I know I have gotten faster at drawing compared to the beginning of this class and I hope I gain more speed by the end of this class. I personally really want to get into drawing the arms and shoulder blade. That seems like the main body part we haven't learned about in detail yet.

    ReplyDelete