Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spring is soon to be a foot!


Picture detailing bones in our feet

            This week was a lot more lax than the previous week. The fear of midterms is now over and the ram up to spring break had begun. To start off the week, we worked on our manikins, which I don’t have a picture of this week so look forward to that in the next post. After our clay adventures on Monday we started class on Wednesday learning about the bones in the foot and how to draw them in gestures. Our teacher broke it down for us and showed us how to draw the feet in a rather complicated box like fashion. It took us a while to understand it but I think the class got it for the most part. Though I am sure if someone who had no idea what class was going on in our room walked in to 15 students drawing feet they might think us mad.
Personally I found the feet rather difficult to draw, but on the bright side I believe that drawing them has help improve my eye to brain connection. What I mean is that staring at feet in weird poses for an hour and a half helped me see how the shapes of the feet turned in space, and thus helped me understand foreshortening better. If there is one thing that I have taken away from my drawing classes, though I take a lot away from them, it is that your eyes right off the bat will probably not be able to guess the correct angle to draw something accurately. There has been more than one occasion where I thought that I must have been seeing things when I measured out an angle with my pencil and put it on paper. However, the end result looks right, after several more lines. Art and in particular drawing classes work to train the eyes as much as train the hands, and if someone had told me that two years ago I probably would have walked away at a quickening pace.
Well I guess that is all for this post, I mean after all I am on spring break after all. There won’t be a blog entry next Sunday because I can’t blog about a week of life drawing class that hasn’t happened. So I will catch you all up in two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Drawing the feet was definitely different than what we have learned previously. Drawing them as though they were in a box really threw me off at first, but later it really helped me understand space in my drawings. The biggest thing I noticed when deciding how to make the box was finding the plane changes, which can be seen by the way the light falls on the feet. The different planes seem to either have a shadow, have a direct light, or have a diffused light. All of which seem to indicate some sort of plane change.

    ReplyDelete